Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cook Book Review

So I have this thing about Cookbooks. I must collect them all and hoard them. Or maybe because they are so hard to come by for me. We are to the point in our medical debt that I can now save some money each week and use coupons and buy a new cookbook here and there.

Well I was at Borders picking up the new Gluten Free Girl book (more on that later) and I just had to look at the gluten free section to see if I was missing out on anything. Well dang it I was, Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger. This is a book I know about, but one I wanted to flip through before buying. Well there it was in my hot little hands and I was oohing and aahing over the recipes. I HAD to have this book.

I HAD to make the Mac'n'Cheese, a Mac'n'Cheese with no cheese how does that happen? So I made it last night, the boys LOVED it and hubby even ate it, now hubby doesn't eat veggies so this was BIG.


I had been wanting to do Grilled Cheese Sandwiches since finding Diaya Cheese, all I was lacking was the bread (Bread is not from the book). I have been working with a recipe that is do die for. I will be posting that recipe shortly. But I made Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwiches to go with the Mac'n'Cheese. These were a BIG hit as well.

So to top off my night I made the Sugar Cookies from my new cook book. Dreamy.

I plan on trying all sorts of new recipes from this book. I think it's a must have for those you have to be many things free. Like us. I didn't change any off the ingredients.


From-Scratch Mac'n'Cheese
1 Cup alternative Milk
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
4 teaspoons starch (I used Tapioca)
1 cup cooked carrots mashed
2 cups cooked and cooled gluten-free elbow macaroni
salt and pepper
Whisk together the milk, oil and starch in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, stir in the mashed carrots and macaroni and stir until heated thoroughly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe from Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger.
Enjoy.
I actually fibbed to the kids and said it's your cheese I used. Little did they know there is no cheese but loads of carrots.



No comments: