Monday, March 29, 2010

Gluten Free Elephant Ears?

Are ya serious can it be done? The one thing I have missed the most since going gf is elephant ears. And not the fair ones the ones hubby and I did nightly after putting the kids to bed. OH how we have missed those times. I have since been on the hunt for the perfect bread dough that would work and some how yesterday I found it? I thought this dough would be PERFECT. So I just had to try it tonight. And IT WORKED. Ok recipe here Kate from Gluten Free Godswacked. Awesome recipe I use all the time around here.
Letting the dough rise for about 45 minutes. You then need to pick up the dough and flour it up well until you can hand roll it out. Once you can handle it you put it into hot oil.


Hot oil as it's cooking away.




After the oil treatment.







All buttered and cinnamon and sugared. Num Num. I will say I just can't get past the taste of gf. I did eat half of mine. Hubby's is gone. So it was successful here. Luckily hubby works nights now and so this won't be a nightly thing. But if you need to pack on the pounds here you go!



5 comments:

Dena Page, M.Ed., CBA said...

We craved funnel cake and found that corn flour, milk, and sugar work perfectly for funnel cake! As you said, NOT a nightly treat!!

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm a crusty old man, not a chef. A couple of questions. What was the dough sitting on? It looks like it's on a skillet plate. How did you manage raising 5 ears (yours, hubby, 3 boys) basically at the same time? Was it open air or low oven heat? How deep is your hot oil pan? It looks like 6 inches deep so that a lot of oil. What kind of oil are you using? I don't usually deep fry anything so I'm really dumb in this arena.

It's been 6 years since your post. Have you stuck with this recipe?

Ed Danley

Marcie said...

Let's see what I can answer. I had this elephant ear on a large cast iron pizza pan, but I believe I raised them on plates also all over the kitchen. Just the heat of the kitchen. In the winter I'm known to heat the oven to about 200 and turn off and let rise in there. But I remember this was the heat of the kitchen that day. Oil, appx. 4-5 inches deep, I use peanut oil. If I can find non gmo canola I like to use that. And yes, if I do elephant ears this is the recipe I use. Once you have a good recipe you don't loose it.

Marcie

KCK Celiac said...

Hello- I cannot find the recipe in the link. ??? Can you please repost the full recipe here? TY! :) - A Celiac in KCK

Marcie said...

Here is the link to the recipe. https://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/