Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Goats

Life on the farm. From time to time you all hear me talking about my Goats. And because tomorrow is a BIG day in Goat Land I thought it was time to share with all of you.

Well 6 years ago my husband and I were house hunting and after a few months we found this house. The only catch was there was this Goat in the back yard. The sellers had long gone and the neighbors were feeding her. So when we bought the house we made sure the contract included the goat. Which we named Riley. So about a year or so into things we thought she might be lonely as goats do better in groups. We had also found out from the neighbors there had been two goats for a long time but the other had passed before we bought the house. I'll save you the details there. It wasn't pretty.

So one day we went down South to a Goat show and found Luna and fell in love and bought her home. We've had a few other goats since then, but Riley left us at age 15 and Luna just left us a few months ago. But along the way we collected Charlie, he is the biggest goat I think I have ever seen, but so lovable. We was in the flood of 07 and just could not go back home. He was staying with someone but he is a sneaker and can sneak out if you give him half a chance. So we got him. And yes once in awhile sneaks out here, but we are double fenced so he has not made it that far.

We also collected four babies. They just could not go home after the flood. So many people lost animals and hay. So we took in these four babies. They are on the shy end of things, but I am slowly winning them over.

Well so we just lost Luna and Luna and Charlie were really good friends, the babies annoy this 10 year old. So seeing how down Charlie has been I have been on the hunt for another older goat and today I found them, not one but two. Two weathers (fixed boys) the are twins and about nine years old they are being delivered tomorrow. Along with 4 week old babies. How did the guy talk us into that? So our current count today is 5, tomorrow 9...YIKES.

Here is a photo of Bella, almost 2 years old.
These are my boys, Leo (the more black one) and Mighty Max (on the right). We didn't think Max would make it when he came to us, so we tried hard and here he is today, we now call him mighty Max. They are almost 2 years old. All four babies are the same age. I still call them my babies. Soon to be called my toddlers as I have babies coming.
I will have to post a photo of Becca and Charlie later as my camera only loaded half the photos.
Tomorrow I will try and post photos of the new herd mates. I'm excited. I hope this really perks up Charlie. But this means we have a LOT of new building to do this summer. We are putting in a new barn to house everyone through the next winter. Where we can fed them inside and water inside that won't freeze. Of course I will try and post photos as we go.





No comments: