Sunday, April 12, 2009

MARCIE

Did you hear that? That is my cannier calling me. It has been screaming my name for days and since today was a no work day. I gave in and canned a recipe that I found. I will be expanding my canning this year. I am looking to do sides and soups/stews and such. Along with the usually jams and such. We didn't get one Tomato last year so we are hoping for the best this year to do spag. sauce, and pizza sauce and such. So keep checking back as I find the time to can and try new things.


The funny thing is well I was canning this my parents called, they are happy to be guinea pigs for this recipe. Well OK than go for it. I need a few guinea pigs as I don't want to can bad recipes?




So this is Coleslaw, this is the before photo as the after photo just did not come out. Way too dark. Now doesn't this look good? I have to be honest I have never made Coleslaw before in my life. Let alone eat it or can it. So I have no idea what I'm doing. But it looks so good, my son could barely keep his hands out of this. If this is good we will be adding Cabbage to our to grow list. Poor hubby that list gets longer and longer everyday?



Coleslaw

1 head cabbage
1 carrot
1 green or red bell pepper
1 small onion

Shed everything and mix all the vegetables together, and toss with 1 heaping teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain any accumulated liquid. Make up a syrup out of the following;

1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed

Bring syrup to a boil, then boil for 1 minute. Let cool. Mix syrup with shredded vegetables. Pack the veggies mix tightly into jars and than pour the cooled liquid over the veggies. BWB for 15 minutes.



Now I did 5 small jars. BIG mistake I should have crammed into two small jars. Next time I know.



The recipe says when ready to serve drain all the liquid and do a very fast rinse and add a few tablespoons of mayo and mix. So play with it. Enjoy. Marcie

No comments: