Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mock Mrs. Dash Seasoning

So I don't believe you have to spend a lot to eat crap free good foods. I highly believe if you invest in good tools, then you are half way there. About a month ago I bought this pedestal and mortar. After some researching I found an all granite one piece was the way to go. And because I'm soon to have a really big family, the bigger the better. This is a 3 cup. It's heavier then Coleson. But this is something I will have forever. I absolutely love it.

A few months ago I played with making my own seasoning. I printed off a mock Mrs. Dash and expanded from there. I don't usually measure when I'm in the kitchen and this is no exception. Just dump to your liking.

Last summer when I planted my herbs, my goal was to one day make all my own seasonings. So I picked and dried everything I could. I will now be expanding my herbs this year so I can expand what I can do in the kitchen. I will tell ya my season mix just rocks. And I no longer pay 3 dollars plus in the store for a tiny little bottle of seasoning.

I usually cook my chicken in a cast iron with some olive oil and top with some seasoning. Or if I do chicken stock. This is a great seasoning for just about anything.

So to save money I plan my garden around what I do in the kitchen. I have two great dehydrators, with plans to expand that. My storage sucks, but I with what I have.

I dump in all the ingredients.



When seconds I got this.


Marcie's Mock Mrs. Dash
By Marcie Dingerson

1/4 cup onion flakes
4 teaspoons vegetable flakes (I tossed in tomato (lots of tomato), carrots, broccoli (smells amazing), celery)
1 tablespoon garlic powder (get real I dumped I LOVE garlic)
1 tablespoon orange peel
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried savory
1 teaspoon dried thyme (I use lemon thyme)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 dash dried rosemary

Crush and store. Don't go by the extract recipe, get into the kitchen and play. I love using tomato. The broccoli smelled amazing. Make your own dried tomato powder, I just slice a tomato and dry, and grind when they are dry and store. Enjoy.

Never again will I buy another seasoning...Never again will I worry if it's allergy free....

No comments: