Wednesday, December 28, 2011

COTM: Gluten Free Peppermint & Red Velvet Cake

Oh do I have a pretty one for you this month. I tired to do this before Christmas, but a fight with Directv and I totally forgot to add some of the ingredients. I didn't have another chance to make another batch until yesterday. And OH boy did they turn out this time.





So the recipe is very easy You take my Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake Recipe before you add in the cocoa and beet powder, you separate the batter. Half stays white and the other half you add a bit of cocoa and some beet powder until you get the color you want. Don't forget to add in a dash of peppermint extract into both batters. In the cupcake pans you put some white, top off with some red, and top that off with some white. I baked these at 350 for 20 minutes. If I had to do again, I would make this recipe twice. In one mixer I would leave white, the other mixer I would do the red. I only got about 10 cupcakes going this way and I didn't separate the batter well, so I had more red.

2 comments:

jenn said...

this is really beautiful. i always felt so bad that my little guy couldn't have red velvet cake. this version is prettier than the real thing. i have a birthday party coming up and could really use a new recipe. All the mixes that I buy in stores comes out terrible! they keep breaking up.

Marcie said...

That is why I don't buy store bought mixes. That and the price kills me. This is a very simple recipe and it's very good. I've made it many times and it's always a hit. It's really a nice cupcake all around.