Friday, January 27, 2012

A Very Long Week Update

Where does one start? Well you got to see the snow storm that came in...What followed was a very nasty ice storm. Followed by tree branches freezing over and falling. Power lines having too much ice and coming down.

We woke up Thursday morning to no power. We called, we were told a lot of people don't have power, should be on by this weekend. WHAT? So we went out and got the camping stuff, we set up the tent in the boys room with sleeping bags and every spare blanket we could find. This way they could huddle together. We got out the little grill for cooking. All the candles and lanterns. On Friday we dug out the generator, just to find out there were broken lines. So we were unable to use it.

We were cold, oh so very cold. And being that cold is so very tiring. Hubby got stuck in the driveway on Friday and could not get to work. By Saturday we were able to get out, but stores were pretty wiped. We did get some propane so we could keep cooking, but that was about it.

Kept calling power company, first told by the weekend, then told by Monday, then told by Wednesday and then told no later then Thursday.

Boys went back to school on Monday, they were happy to be someplace warm. Lunches sucked as I was slowly loosing food in the fridge.

By Tuesday I was just really done, when you are cold it really makes things hard. So I gave in on Tuesday after school we went to a friends house for dinner, the kids really wanted to play. And really I just wanted to be warm. After dinner we ran by and saw daddy and puttered around there for a bit, but sadly it was time to head home and get the boys into bed.

As we pulled onto our street we were meet with a really nice surprise...POWER! Honestly by Tuesday day 6 I had thought they were never going to come. People had power up to our street, but they left the other side of the street and left. So about 20 of us did not have power that was over the weekend. So honestly I didn't think they were coming back.

So we quickly run in, we turn on all the heaters, we take down the tent and roll up the sleeping bags and the boys make their bed. Power came on at 7pm and we got home at 7:15pm so that was plenty of time for me to clean out the fridge and freezer before everything re-froze. Two bags of food out the door. So very sad. Lots of meat, lots of pre-made food for lunches. Our fridge was pretty empty.

I started the dishwasher, and laundry. Kept that going all night. There was so much to do, funny when the lights go on you realize how dirty your house is?

So Wednesday we dropped of the boys at school and just came home and cleaned. Put away all the camping stuff. More dishes and laundry. Made a list of stuff we need for next time HEATING SOURCE was number one. Hoping the stores are re-stocked soon so I can pick up something. Hubby will get the generator fixed up. You know they tell you to be ready for three days. What they should say is be prepared for 7 plus days. Because honestly if there is 20 inches of snow they are NOT coming. And honestly they don't care if you are freezing to death in your house. There are times I wanted to give up and bring the grill inside and end everything. By day 6 you are going insane and the cold is just too much to bear.

Here are the boys huddling.


Our light source at night.


Tucker


How we saved the food in the fridge for a bit.


Cooking over a grill in the rain and the cold, so not recommended. And squatting over it to warm yourself is not fun either. Yeah didn't take photos there.


Chip found some down branches...


We lost our shed.


Took these Wednesday, I have came to the conclusion that power people were NOT real. But apparently they are real? We had three power trucks on our street, and a bunch on 185th. Weird.


OK now that we have power, I have decided I really do enjoy having power, and heat, and lights, and cooking on my oven.

But now that we are over this hell. We are back to planning the garden. We got t-posts weeks ago, today was fencing and a few bricks. Next week will be wood posts and more bricks. I will be doing my garden beds out of these bricks....Geniuses right? Not only do I get the bed, but I can use these little squares to grow herbs, or flowers or such. I saw this idea and I just know I had to do it. We are hoping to have the new fence up by next weekend. So we will be ready when we get the trees. And just start placing the beds as I can get bricks. I need to hit free cycle and such also. I am so excited about this idea. I saw a photo of a finished garden with these bricks and it looked so awesome that I just totally fell in love. I know I had to do the same thing.

On that note, we were at Wal-Mart today, accidentally walked into their garden center and found they sell Seeds of Change, seeds. I could not believe it. I was going to order from them this year. So I was able to cut my list in half. I'll head south and see if they carry anything else on my list before I send in an order. So exciting to see those today.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad your power is back! What an adventure!the camping/ sleeping boys picture is darling.. So sorry you were so cold, I thought for sure you'd have a wood heat source.. We lost power for o er a week once but it was July so a little different experience! I think you did a great job through it all. Andrea