Monday, November 29, 2010

Apple and Sasuage Stuffing

So the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I realized there is really nothing at the dinner table that my hubby could eat. He had just given up potatoes, on top of being gluten, dairy, soy free. So me starting to freak out, he said a good stuffing would work.

So I went on the hunt for a good stuffing. And found one in the Joy of Cooking Cookbook.

It came out Amazing. It smelled awesome, and hubby loved it.

1 pound sausage
4 cups apples peeled and diced

I browned the sausage, once browned I mixed in the apples and let it sit on low and soak.

4 to 8 tablespoons Earth Balance Butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup parsley
1 teaspoon thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 to 1 cup chicken stock
1 pound or about 10 cups of gf bread crumbs

In a pan melt the butter, add in onions, celery. Once cooked and tender add in the rest of the ingredients, except chicken stock, and bread crumbs. Let cook up for a few minutes. Once done, in a big bowl combine sausage, apples, cooked up stuffing mixture and bread crumbs. Add in chicken stock until happy, mix well. I did use 1 cup. Once fully mixed put into a baking pan and bake at 350 for 25-40 minutes.

This will now be something I do at every big get together meal. It was amazing.

No comments: