Thursday, October 28, 2010

POTM: Blackberry And Apple Pie

So POTM stands for Pie Of The Month...Yes, I will be attempting a cupcake and a pie every month. Oh wish me luck. The choice was easy this month. Hubby and I watched Jamie Oliver last night and hubby was drooling over this pie. It's funny how watching the cooking channel, makes you want to get into the kitchen and work. But it was 10pm last night and pie was not happening last night. But we got up and cleaned the kitchen.

So after dinner tonight I got started on the pie. I used Cybele's Pie Crust this time around. It is in her book so I won't post the recipe here. I have to say I wasn't too thrilled with it. Great pastry. Can't complain, I think the issue was our kitchen was really warm. So I will try her crust again down the road. I have another crust in mind for next months pie.

This is the filling, doesn't it look nummy?

Look I covered the pie in one piece!
This is what happens when hubby thinks he can bake? It's covered in coconut oil, sugar and cinnamon.

One baked Blackberry and Apple Pie. Are you drooling yet?





Blackberry and Apple Pie
From Jamie Oliver

1/4 cup butter (coconut oil)
1/3 cup sugar
6 apples, peeled and sliced
1 heaping tablespoon chopped ginger
5 ounces blackberries

Put the butter and sugar into a saucepan and, when the butter has melted, add the apples, ginger and a tablespoon of the ginger syrup (OK cheated here, I for the life of me can not find ginger without corn syrup. I bought ginger and sliced it up myself and when I saw syrup I just put in a spoonful of coconut oil). Slowly cook for 15 minutes with a lid on, then add the blackberries, stir and cook for 5 more minutes with the lid off.

Well this was cooking I got the crust all ready. I then dumped the mixture into the pie crust and topped with second pie crust. Make sure you have holes, or sliced in your top crust to let steam out. Hubby topped with coconut oil, sugar and cinnamon. When I bake my pies, I bake them either on a cookie sheet or a cookie sheet next shelf down to catch drops.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: