Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Yes, More babies!

I will say it was a day/night from h-e double hockey sticks. Since our 5 surprised on Friday I have been watching the other four girls like a hawk. I go out every morning, afternoon and evening and check for labor.

I went out Monday morning and noticed Becca was in labor. (white goo pouring from her rear) don't ask I have done a ton of research since Friday. Well didn't Becca know my schedule? Could she have not scheduled this better?

So our day was changed as hubby took boys up to school and errands and I stayed home and watched over the laboring goat. We put a leash on her and walked her very slowly to the momma goat pen so she would be with Sierra and be able to labor without all the other goats running around her and stressing her out. I kept the leash on her. She is not a person goat so if she broke loose I could be able to catch her asap and put her back.

So I watched and watched and watched. I went out nearly every 30 minutes and nothing. I watched from the house and nothing. Load after load of laundry getting towels ready. Working on my free lancing work and making cupcakes. And still nothing. Hubby comes home with one kid and we have lunch and still nothing. She is laboring and the belly is shaking and she is sitting and standing and sitting again and standing again and the belly shaking. But still NOTHING.

Hubby goes and gets kid number 1 and comes home we have dinner and still nothing. She is now refusing all food, water, hay and pretzels. So you know it's serious?

We put kids to bed and the darkness falls and still nothing? So at about 9pm I have to bring her in. I can't keep running out there and checking every 30 minutes in the rain. We get the laundry room ready with towels and sheets and hay near by and we bring her in, after a chase because she got loose but having that leash helped.

We bring in her and watch her labor and see the lovely goo that comes out and now it has turned to blood so we have to be close right? Midnight comes and still nothing? The decision was made we would to go bed and get up every two hours to check on her. We finally get to bed about 12:30am and by now she is yelling. Of course I have to keep getting up and checking but after the second time I decide to wait for that one yell, you know that yell right? 1am we hear a plop a scream and us racing down the hall and looking into the laundry room yelling BABY.

We clean off baby the best we could and give it to her. Could we only have one coming? things are going slow she gets him/her cleaned off and we attach it to her for some milk. But nope we have another coming. That baby gets about 75% out and she looks at me. So she pushes and I pull and YUCK we got her out, I handed her to Russell to clean off and put in front of mama well I wait to see if we have another baby?

We don't think so as we thought labor died down and we may be waiting for the (after birth?) But no about 30 minutes later here we go again. By now she is not doing good at all. She is tired has been laboring all day, I've had it is the look on her face. She gets the baby about 50% out and she is just down. I tell her to push and she does and I am pulling and we get her out. She collapses and I take care of baby get the baby in front of her. Check on mama she is breathing but tired. I offered her water and she takes it which perked her up so she started cleaning up her babies and letting me hook the babies to the milk.

During all of this we are doing laundry, well we are in the laundry room after all and birthing is messy.

So we have the afterbirth coming so I work on cleaning up as best as I can and hooking up the babies and getting them on their feet. One baby doesn't want to suck so I milk mom and get that first milk into the baby. Noticed baby three didn't suck enough so I get milk down her as well. I just keep pushing the milk knowing how important it is.

So I have one tired mama I have three babies with full belly's and it's about 3am at this point. Yeah, no I'm not joking. I send hubby to bed because he has to get up early and take boys to school. And I need to stay up to make sure the babies drink and latch on and drink milk. So I took the first photo I had left for a minute to get a bit to eat and she had put all her babies together and fell asleep. It was so beyond cute it was not even funny. Those were her babies.

So I laid down on the floor beside them and fell asleep. I was awake to two babies climbing on me. Well must be feeding time. I wake up momma and get one attached good, two don't want to suck at all so I milk mom again and get the milk into the other two babies and we all go back to sleep again. About 30 minutes later I'm awake to my middle son standing over me, he was in shock to awake to find Becca and three babies and mommy asleep in the laundry room? So since I"m up I try the feeding thing again. It didn't go well so heck with it. I get up and drop in bed. I wake up an hour later to a goat walking around the house.

Dang I wish I was joking, Becca had realized the gate was not up and she wanted to go for a walk.

So I get up and take this time to fully clean up the area. all the towels and sheets got picked up and put in the washing machine. All fresh towels and sheets were put down. And hay was brought in. I put momma and babies back I did a good feeding with only one attaching and me feeding two. I leave mom to eat hay and I go to bed well hubby leaves to take a boy to school, I tell him to get back soon because he is helping with the next feeding.

Next feeding didn't go well. I had very little milk come out of mom. What we got did go down the kids to a point. But during this process we had the third born finally attach. From then on I have had two attach just fine and feed on their own. YEAH.

Well next feeding the milk had dropped. Thank Goodness. I got 2 ounces in about 2 seconds got that down the one baby and went back to bed until the next feeding. Which went well as well. We watched the other two making sure they were eating OK.

So this evening we started working on getting the other one to attach. Finally had a bit of luck so I'm hopeful for tomorrow getting her to attach and get some milk. So I will be up every few hours tonight feeding her. Fun times. So speaking of that it's time for the feeding so I can go to bed.

We have two girls and one boy. No names until I know they will make it or not. Tomorrow if the weather holds up Becca will go outside for an hour or so to walk around and get her exercise.

I'm tired. And grossed out.

This was the after birth photo when we all passed out. all three babies are here and momma is just out.

The two brown ones. One boy and one girl here.

Look at this how cool all brown but the one white spot. This is my girl.

The pure white one, but she has a brown tail? Go figure. She is the one not doing too well hoping to get her to attach tomorrow. But she is drinking all moms milk it's just me doing the feeding.


caringmomma said...

hats off to you for being such a wonderful nanny...prayers for all to turn out good.


Rachel said...

Good midwifery! Keep it up!