Friday, February 2, 2018

Updating School


Thought I would jump on blogger tonight and see if I can try and update, see if I can't start to post regularly now right? 

So I'm still homeschooling. For the most part it's going pretty well. I am now on my own most of the time as hubby now works days and I'm often done before he gets home. 

Cole is doing AWESOME. he is about to wrap up 7th grade math, Scary. His reading this year has blown me over. We found some mine craft books and BOOM. He can't wait to get through them. For the most part he is doing well. 

Tucker well, hum. Math is going OK, he should be done with the book on time by the end of the year. Reading. hum nope. He reads daily but it just is not getting their. We'll keep going hoping at some point he will just pick it up like Cole has. 

Ethan, well we are knee deep in some ugly algebra. We are getting it, so here it is, I go through the lesson, if I understand well when I understand I then turn around and teach him and once he gets it he then does the lesson. His reading is going OK. It's not great, but he is reading and doing OK, I think with him it will come in time. 

So on English I am just failing. See they have the basics. But to get them to write. Just feels like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. See I don't see the point of writing, well making up stories and writing and such. Yes I am currently writing a blog I get the irony of this. My fear is I will put Ethan into cc and he will just fail all the English classes because I can't get my act together about this topic. 

Since life has settled down (no it really hasn't) I started swimming lessons. I can not tell how many times I have tried to do swimming and had to cancel because of life. So this time around I have stopped the world and we are doing swimming. Can not believe I have a 14 year old that doesn't swim. Good news is he is picking it up really fast and should not be much longer for him to take off swimming. Tucker and Cole. Well we will keep going. We also do open swim so I can work with them. 

Ethan is doing a Lego-Computer class. It's coding and making Lego's do things. He really likes it. Now he wants me to save for this 500 dollar Lego set. ARGGGG but I saw it coming. Put it on the list. 

So today had a thunk, Ethan asked me to help him do something on the computer, it is way over my head. See he has taken the computer that was donated to us by a great friend and it's just his. Well fine, The stuff he is finding to do on it. But he asked a programming question and I really don't know. I muttered through it and we did it. But their has to be some computer classes he could be taking. After some googling found some through the local parks and rec. Called and signed him up. It's coding and yada, yada, yada. Way over my head stuff. It starts after the Lego classes end. I'm pushing Ethan towards computer classes and such, thinking this may be his alley. 

I want to move him over to cc classes when he turns 16-ish, even it it's just one or two classes to help me out. Like I have two more math books with him and then I am just done with him. If computer is his thing then see what it will take to move him to a computer type college after age 18 because I believe those are two year courses and then he is out in the real world working. But we will head to the local cc this summer and chat and see what sort of path we should think about putting Ethan on. 

Ethan is super excited to try this computer class. I hope he takes to it and asks for more. 

So their you go a quick update on home school life. 


5 comments:

Jen said...

So good to get an update from you! I met you on the gf Yahoo group. Are you planning out your garden yet for this year? We ate expanding ours since we took out a large cedar tree that needed to come down. Can't wait to get some seeds in the ground! :) Sounds like home schooling has been a bit difficult for you. Hang in there! And thanks again for the update! :)

Marcie said...

Yes, plan on a BIG garden this year. I was going to update that, but got side tracked, need to tell you all why I'm so side tracked right now, well if I can stopped getting side tracked. HA. I have onions going now. I'm bringing in my racks today to start peppers. Tomatoes start probably March 1 here. That is about when I bring in new dirt to fill all the new beds I have added.

Anonymous said...

So happy to read updates about your family. What happen with hubby falling out of truck. Are you still working on adding bedrooms to your current house?

Marcie said...

Soon

Linda Heminway said...

So glad to hear from you.
Why not start a family journal and have the kids take turns writing in it each day. At the end of the week, the opposite kid should correct spelling and grammar on it. You do the final review.