Monday, June 13, 2016

Debit Card Fraud

I'm sure many of you remember a few years ago, we got hit with check fraud. The bank cleared a funny looking check and it cleaned out our bank account. Which sucked at the time because of the timing, the day before Mortgage was to be taken out. 




Well since that day, I check the bank account at least daily, but some days I'm checking 4-6 times. I'm always checking. Also since that day, our checks are cleared by a person, not a machine. Yet on the other hand, I maybe write 4-6 checks a year. We are cash only people, but sometimes we use the debit card. 


Like to reserve come camping sites coming up, and this and that. I don't use it often, because weekly we go to the bank we pull out our weekly money and pay cash for everything.
 
So the other day I'm checking the bank account and there is a weird charge. Hum? Thinking I did something odd, I did just order from ebay, so checked that out and no that cleared two days prior. It's not an amazon thing. In fact I don't remember the last time I have touched my debit card. So I debate all day, and nothing came to me, so I googled the name. Tagged. Come to find out they find cc numbers and charge them 9.99 a month. Oh I think not.
 
I called the bank the next morning. It was my card, my card was cancelled and two days later the pending charge was removed. So I didn't loose 10 dollars. Because to us ten dollars is a lot of money. When one makes about ten dollars an hour, it's an hours worth of work.
 
So it's important to keep your eyes on your bank account. Check every charge and question things. If something is odd, call your bank.
 
So yet again, we've been hit, But luckily it wasn't bad. Grateful for that. 

No comments: