Sunday, March 1, 2009
Are You Jealous?
Does that cake look good or what. You know what it's flour less. Yep, and apparently it tastes darn good. So the cake had two of the three items we could not have. So I was challenged and came up with the subs that worked really, really well. This little boy had two pieces and was begging for more. So sorry Daddy as the boys left you a few crumbs...
16 ounces enjoy life chocolate chips
1/4 cup coconut oil
5 large eggs, separated
1. Put chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often.
2. While your chocolate coconut oil mixture is cooling, Grease your pan and line with a parchment circle then grease the parchment paper.
3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls.
4. Whip the egg whites in a medium/large grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over-whip or the cake will be dry).
5. With the same beater beat the egg yolks together.
6. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with the remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no whites remains without deflating the batter.
8. Pour batter into a prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375.
9. Bake for 25 minutes until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C
10. Note-If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.
11. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes than unmold.
*Note* I cooked this in a 6 inch round pan you could possible use an 8 inch round pan also.